I discovered today is World Fair Trade Day as I was having my “breakfast” of the Fair Squares (brownies) I made yesterday.
World Fair Trade Day (WFTD) is the largest Fair Trade event in North America, with events happening from May 6 to 20. But the most important event is when spend money on chocolate, coffee, sugar, bananas, and other products that are farmed in far away places, too often in conditions you wouldn’t want to perpetuate, even if it would save you 20 cents a kilo.
As my Fair Trade Day gift to you, here is my recipe:
- 1 cup flour (unbleached)
- 2 tablespoons Fair Trade cocoa Fair Trade
- 2 eggs from humanely raised chickens
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1½ brown sugar Fair Trade
- ¾ cup melted butter from humanely raised cows
Combine, pour in prepared square pan.
Bake at 325°F for 35 minutes. Don’t overcook.
Icing, prepared just before the brownies come out of the oven and poured on while icing and brownies are hot (if you time it right, the icing will spread itself out in a smooth glaze).
In a small sauce pan melt and heat till bubbling
- 2 tablespoons butter from humanely raised cows
- 1 tablespoon Fair Trade cocoa
Without delay, mix until smooth
- 1 cup icing sugar Fair Trade is available, so if you don’t find it, request it
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 to 1½ tablespoons milk from humanely raised cows
And to be completely fair, share them. And don’t be shy about letting people know that the treat they are enjoying is not the product of abuse, exploitation and child labour.*
*Unless you had your kids make them.